Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Hair Breakthrough?!

There is a small chance that I may be on the brink of a breakthrough, but I don't want to say it as a fact, until about a month from now.

BUT!! For the first time since I started this epic battle with my hair.  I think I may have won a small victory.  This week, I tried my expensive curlformers again and SURPRISE! I am happy with the results



People, this is more than five months post relaxer.  Now what this picture doesn't show is that my edges are a bit frizzy, but whatevs.

I'll breakdown how things went this weekend.  I separated my hair into six good sized sections.  I spritzed each section with water and used the last of my dry-itchy scalp shampoo to scrub each section individually.

Next, I hopped in the shower, rinsed out each section, washed again with Shea Moisture shampoo, rinsed again and dumped some v05 conditioner on there.  I finger detangled each section, rinsed, twisted, secured with a goody ouchless band, then continued my shower duties.

I think I could have saved some time by literally rinsing a section, putting in the shampoo, rinsing again, then slapping on the conditioner, but I did everything to my entire head before moving on to the next step.

Anyways, once I was out of the shower, I applied Neutrogena's Triple Moisture mask, combed it through each section and sat under the dryer for 15 minutes.  I rinsed it out in the shower, let my hair sit for about 10 or 15 minutes, then I dried each section, applied Knot Today, combed it out and braided it.

I walked my dogs and did some other stuff, before busting out the curlformers.  If you read about the last experience, you know I lost two big chunks of hair the last time, so I was extremely careful.  I counted them all out. I had 48 (I think).  My hair was in six sections, so I figured 8 would be good for each section.

I worked through two sections of my head, then threw some laundry in the machine.  I worked two more sections, stopped for laundry (you get my drift).  I was tired at the end, but, unlike the last time, I had enough curlformers for my entire head.

I used Shea Moisture's curl enhancing smoothie, a very little coconut oil and Bee Mine curly butter to set the curls. I slept overnight with the not-so-comfy curlformers.



The curls looked pretty good when I took them down. I separated the curls and pinned them back for the finished product.

I plan to pick up some ORS twist and lock gel for the next time.  Oh, I'll also sit under the dryer for as long as possible to dry.

My next goal is to make my hair look pretty again for the next time and to cut down on my styling time. It takes me all day to do this.  I don't know if I should only shampoo once or not, but I like my hair clean and I feel like one shampoo isn't enough.  However, I'm trying to use as many natural products as possible so it won't take so much to clean my hair.  I don't know if the twist and lock gel fits under that description.

No comments:

Post a Comment